Thursday, May 9, 2013

"Where Have You Been?" You Ask!

It appears that I have been gone to some exotic island, a wonderful Florida
beach, the mountains, a foreign country.
Oh, but no!
I had to have shoulder surgery!
Surgery was the middle of March and I have been
recovering and doing physical therapy.
Still doing physical therapy to get back to
where I was prior to the problems.
I did manage to make a few scissor fobs and thank you
cards while my arm was still in a sling.
Below is a picture of some of the most recent fobs
I made.

Stop back by soon and maybe my updates can be more frequent

Thursday, February 21, 2013


I saw some scissor fobs that were different from the most common ones
we see on the market and that I make. 
They are short and made mostly with large beads.
The ones I saw were way overpriced.  I know people want to make
a profit, but not to the extent of taking advantage of people.
Off my soapbox now!
Anyway, the first one I made is so so.  Good enough
to list in my Etsy shop, but I do hope to improve them
as I make more.
These may work for the stitchers who think the longer,
dangly fobs will get in their way.
Here is a photo of the first one I did.  Like I said,
I hope to get some prettier ones as I go along.

I hope to have some more made soon.  I'll show those when they
are ready.


Sunday, February 3, 2013


Several years ago, I completed a small Christmas bellpull.  I attempted to hem
the ends to attach the hardware and never was pleased with how
it looked.  So, the little bellpull stayed in a drawer basically
forgotten.  I came across it in December while pulling
out items for Christmas decorating.  I checked at my local needlework
shop for a finisher, but that didn't work out.  I kept the bellpull
out in my craft room where I could see it and not forget to do
something about it.  After looking at it more and more, I thought that
maybe, just maybe, I would attempt it again in a different way.
I have a sewing machine, but have never been very handy with it.  My mother sewed
beautifully and taught me the basics of making a dress.  I could repair seams, etc., but
that was all I cared to do with my trusty Singer sewing machine. 
The poor little bellpull really needed to be fixed.  I thought about asking
my daughter-in-law to do it for me, but decided the most it needed
was four straight seams.  Come on!  So, one day last week the trusty Singer sewing machine
made its way to the kitchen table and was put into action.
The four seams may not be perfect, but the bellpull can now be used when
Christmas 2013 rolls around.
I also had a new cross stitch work in progress that was very close to
being too wide for the fabric.  I alwasy Fray Check my edges, but it was suggested
that I run a zig-zag seam down the right side.  Well, you guessed it!
My trusty Singer has probably never made a zig-zag seam since I purchased it!  With
manual in hand, I accomplished this also!
Here is a picture of the bellpull.
We also used this last week to remove the plate glass mirror (typical ones installed by
builders) and replace it with a framed, prettier mirror in our powder room.  We had to get the original mirror off, patch the wall where it had been glued, caulk, and paint.  Here is the final product.


Thanks for looking!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013


Not a lot to report, but I do have an updated photo of Good St. Nick.
A little more progress on the at the bottom, of the houses,
trees, and soon-to-be snow.  There would have
been more to show if I had not had to take
out most of the reindeer.  All but one
of them had a stitch left out that caused everything
below them to not line up.  Got that corrected and moved on.


Tuesday, January 15, 2013


I have been enjoying some cross stitch time lately.  I always have multiple stitching projects going.  It is easy to work on many and never finish any.  I had started a new one and thought I might not have allowed enough fabric for framing; however, it seems it will be ok.  I got frustrated with it and put it up and pulled out an old one that has been packed up.  I'm glad I did.  It is easy stitching and a nice break from some of the others.  Since it is a Christmas project, I can definitely finish it in time for December 2013!

This is Prairie Schooler, Good Saint Nick.
The next picture is an update of a previous posted project.  It's coming along.  I had to take
a break from it, but there is really not much left to do on it.  It does have a
companion one that I will definitely do when I finish the first one.
Below is an updated picture.

Well, that's it for today.  I need to get busy!  Maybe I will be back soon with a finish to show you.
I did get a couple of new fobs made and listed in my Etsy shop, BeadedFobsbyLayne. 
I have a few more laid out ready to string.  I'll post pictures of them later.
Stay warm and stay dry!